The Nakorotubu Education Fund has been established through a partnership with locally-based tourism operators, dive liveaboard operators, the communities from qoliqoli Cokovata Nakorotubu, with technical support from the Ra Provincial Office, Wildlife Conservation Societ, BirdLife International and the Fiji Environmental Law Association.
The concept is simple
Local communities from Nakorotubu District have established a tabu over the 110.5 square kilometres Vatu-i-Ra Conservation Park (see map).
In return, tourism operators will work with their clients to set up a voluntary contribution to conservation scheme – meaning visitors to the Conservation Park will make voluntary donations to support Park management and to run an education fund for tertiary level students.
Nakorotubu Education Fund Scholarship Award
The Nakorotubu Education Fund (NEF) has been established to provide financial assistance through a scholarship award to individuals from Nakorotubu District, who have passed their Year 12, Year 13 or equivalent Foundation Studies and wish to pursue other tertiary or higher level studies in Fiji. In some circumstances, scholarships awards may be granted to secondary students.
- Applicant must be a Fijian citizen and from Nakorotubu District.
- Students must have successfully completed Year 13 or Foundation Studies in the year prior to the awards year. Generally, the awards for 2018 will be given to students who have completed Year 12, Year 13 or foundation studies in 2017 and achieved the minimum marks.
- Students must have an offer letter from a local Higher Education Institute.
- The NEF scholarships are awarded without regard or bias to sex, religion, age, or sexual orientation.
Application Requirements and Instructions
To be considered for a NEF Scholarship Award, eligible applicants must complete the Application Form and submit it to the Ra Provincial Council office in hard copy by 15 January of each year. The application must include:
- A completed Application Form. Only completed application forms will be considered.
- An official academic transcript (exam results) for Year 12 and 13 or equivalent Foundation Studies including GPA. (To be submitted as soon as the results are out).
- Offer letter from the Higher Education Institute. (To be submitted as soon as available).
- Certified copy/signed copy of birth certificate.
- Students TIN Letter/FRCA-FNPF Joint Card.
- Two recent passport size photos.
Submission of Application Form
Hand deliver completed printed applications to the Ra Provincial Council office, Nanukuloa, Ra Province. Do not forget to ask for an official receipt as an evidence of a successful submission of the application form.
Submitting a completed application package does not guarantee approval.
Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further enquiries or information please contact:
Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Dr Sangeeta Mangubhai, WCS Director
11 Ma’afu Street, Suva
Email: [email protected]
Telephone +679 331 5174